It is coming to that time of year again. That time when we have to fill in those long and arduous tax sheets. That may have been the case decades ago. Now it can only be a couple of minutes through the revenue.ie website. Here in Ireland there is a very high percentage of people who don’t claim their tax back. The biggest deterrent for not claiming tax back is because people think they will owe Revenue money (Irish Mirror Article). When it comes to actually claiming tax back. This flat rate expense comes in at number 3 on the list of most popular relief claimed. (Irish Examiner Article) If you are a medical or healthcare professional you can get a tax rebate from a uniform allowance. What is this uniform allowance? ”A Uniform Allowance is an allowance granted to nurses/midwives by Revenue. The allowance is classed as a flat rate (employment) expense. These are expenses that are incurred in the performance of the duties of the nurse/midwife and are directly related to the nature of the employee's employment”. Take Nurse's Uniforms for example, you can claim up to €733 if you have had to supply and launder your own uniform. You can find a full breakdown of the level of rebate that you can claim here INMO Income Tax Allowance. The breakdown is as follows:
- Where obliged to supply and launder their own uniforms. - €733
- Where obliged to supply their own uniforms but were laundered free. - €638
- Where obliged to launder uniforms that are supplied. - €353
- Where uniforms are supplied and laundered by the employer. - €258
To claim this uniform allowance is super easy. Just follow these simple steps.
- Log into your ‘MyAccount’ through revenue.ie - MyAccount
- Click on ‘Review your tax’ in the PAYE services.
- Select the Income Tax return for the relevant tax year.
- In the ‘Tax Credits & Reliefs’ page select ‘Flat rate expenses’ and add it as a tax credit.
This tax rebate isn’t just open to Nurses. There is a comprehensive list which ranges from Attendees to Hospital Porters. You can find the list and rebate values here (Tax Relief List). With the process being the exact same for everyone. The last two years have been the most demanding and challenging for our essential workers. It is vital that this process can be made easy and efficient.